Department of Ear, Nose and Throat Care
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat Care (ENT) or Otorhinolaryngology, deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and management of diseases related to the sinuses, larynx (voice box), oral cavity, and upper pharynx (mouth and throat), as well as structures of the neck and face. Continental Hospitals is the best ENT hospital in Hyderabad for surgical and medical management of ear, nose and throat conditions.
Our team of specialists addressing a range of ENT issues from ear problems and throat infections to complex issues like hearing problems and tumors. Continental Hospitals have the best ENT doctors in Hyderabad, to diagnose, treat, and manage specialty-specific disorders as well as many primary care problems in both children and adults. Proper management of ENT disorders can greatly improve the patients’ quality of life which is why our ENT Surgeons work closely with other specialists in Speech Pathology, Ophthalmology, Paediatrics, Neurosurgery, Dermatology, Allergy and Immunology, Pulmonary Medicine and Oncology to provide coordinated care for patients. Dealing with ENT disorders and diseases can be a painful experience. In many cases, it may be chronic and difficult to treat. Continental Hospitals, being the best ENT hospital in Hyderabad ensures that patients receive the correct diagnosis and treatment for various types of ENT conditions, using the latest in medical technology.
Continental Hospitals are well equipped to provide a comprehensive spectrum of Otorhinolaryngology treatments like vertigo, neuro-otology, paediatric otolaryngology, skull base surgery, head and neck cancer screening and surgery among a host of other services. This makes us the best hospital for ENT in Hyderabad.
Why Choose Continental Hospitals for Ear, Nose & Throat Care?
- Whether you are suffering from simple throat infection or ear problems, or more complex disorders like sleep apnoea, head and neck cancers, deformities of the ear and nose, Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for ENT in Hyderabad to provide ear, nose, throat care.
- Our team of highly qualified and trained specialists and dedicated staff makes sure that we are the best ENT hospital in Hyderabad. You would only want the best ENT doctor in Hyderabad treating paediatric and adult patients with the latest tools and technologies. Inter-departmental collaboration at Continental Hospitals ensures that the patient gets holistic treatment and care for complex ENT conditions that also involve oncology, dermatology, neurology, paediatrics, ophthalmology among other specialties.
- The Ear, Nose and Throat Care department at Continental Hospitals addresses balance disorders, vertigo, cosmetic disorders like cleft lip and palate, infections of the ear, nose, and throat, head and neck cancers, sleep disorders. Thus, providing comprehensive care for all ENT issues Continental Hospitals is the best ENT hospital in Hyderabad.
- Ear, Nose, Throat Care encompasses cosmetic, medical as well as surgical interventions for treatment and management of various ENT problems. Being the best hospital for ENT in Hyderabad means that Continental Hospitals provide diagnosis, treatment, and management for a wide range of issues related to ENT and structures of the head and neck. This not only results in relief of the patients from diseases and conditions but in many cases allows them to lead a better quality of life be it paediatric, adult or geriatric (old aged) patients.
Our diagnostic capabilities are unrivalled
Diagnosis of ENT problems can often be difficult as the symptoms can be quite similar. Physical examination and questioning the patient regarding their discomfort is the primary step in identifying the ENT condition. This step needs a deep understanding and expertise of the doctor. Continental Hospitals have the best ENT doctors in Hyderabad to accurately diagnose and treat ENT conditions like ear problems, throat infection and even serious conditions like head and neck cancers.
Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for ENT in Hyderabad that has the tools and technologies for precise testing that helps our specialists in giving patients the correct treatment for ear, nose, and throat care. Apart from simple instruments, only the best ENT hospital in Hyderabad can provide the latest in endoscopy, X-ray and CT scanning technology for conclusive testing and diagnosis for all types of ENT issues.
A few examples of diagnoses in ENT have been discussed below.
An otoscope is a commonly used tool by ENT specialists. It has a magnifying lens and a light that helps in examining the ear and eardrum. The doctor will observe the presence of redness, inflammation, pus and other indicators of ear infections, hearing issues or ear conditions in the patient.
For conditions like sinusitis, the doctor may examine the inside of the nose and sinuses using an endoscope. This is an optical instrument that helps in visualizing the inner parts of the body that cannot be easily accessed by the naked eye or simple physical examination. The presence of inflammation and/or discharge can be seen using an endoscope. Nasal samples may also be taken for further laboratory tests that allow the specialist to exactly identify the type of infection affecting the patient. This is extremely useful in giving the proper medication and treatment to the patient for a speedy recovery.
A doctor may advise CT scans or X-Ray for further detailed information regarding the condition in case of inconclusive diagnosis with endoscopy or culture.
Throat infections like Strep throat can have common symptoms like white patches on the tonsils which can also be caused due to other bacteria or viruses. In such cases when physical examination can be inconclusive, the doctor can suggest a throat swab, where a sample of the saliva is taken from the throat and cultured in the lab. This helps incorrectly identifying the cause of infection so that the apt medication can be given to the patient.
In the case of disorders like sleep apnoea, the doctor first learns about the patient’s comprehensive medical history. This is typically followed by a thorough physical examination to check the signs of sleep apnoea such as uvula or other structures blocking the airway. The doctor may also order a sleep study, usually at a sleep centre. Here, oxygen monitors are connected to the patient’s finger to measure the oxygen concentration in blood. Because sleep apnoea causes the patient to stop breathing multiple times during sleep, which compromises or drops oxygen levels in the blood. Brain activity, breathing and heart rate are also monitored during this study.
What are the diseases/conditions treated by the Ear, Nose and Throat Care Department?
Continental hospital is the best ENT hospital dealing with a host of diseases/conditions of the ear, nose, and throat. Different treatment and management options are considered by our specialists depending on each case ranging from medication, management to surgery. Some of these conditions have been explained below.
Being one of the best hospitals for ENT in Hyderabad, Continental Hospitals provides treatment for congenital and trauma patients with defects and conditions of the face.
- Birth defects – Birth defects may be deformities, that is a change in the shape of a body part, or malformations, that are errors in the development of the body part. The most common facial defects are cleft lip and cleft palate. Such defects can be treated surgically.
- Jaw and face fractures – Facial fractures are most commonly due to some kind of injury or trauma. These may not only cause cosmetic issues but also problems with breathing, speaking, vision, chewing, etc. Pain, swelling, bruising are common symptoms of facial fractures.
- Facial Plastic Surgery: Facial plastic surgery is performed to enhance visual appearance of the facial structures and features. Common procedures include facelifts, eye lifts, rhinoplasty, chin and cheek implants, liposuction, and procedures to correct facial wrinkles. Redefining of jaw line, nose, erasing wrinkles around eyes, forehead and chin are some popular techniques. Improving facial symmetry, re-contouring of ears, reclaiming lost appearance due to injuries or cancer, tightening of saggy skin on face is another vital aspect of Facial Plastic Surgery.
Sleep disorders can be related to ear, nose, and throat, which is why our team of ENT specialists also deal with sleep disorders as a part of ear, nose, throat care.
- Sleep apnoea (abnormal breathing during sleep) – Sleep apnoea is a potentially serious condition where breathing stops and starts repeatedly during sleep. This means that the brain and other body parts will not receive enough oxygen. The most common type of sleep apnoea is due to blockage of airways during sleep. Snoring is a common symptom of this condition.
- Voice problems – Conditions like GERD and Obstructive sleep apnoea may result in voice problems. This can mean hoarseness of voice, sore throat or pain while talking.
Mouth and throat
Continental Hospitals is one of the best ENT hospitals in Hyderabad where the department of ear, nose and throat care at Continental Hospitals provides treatment for mouth and throat conditions like throat infection, speech and voice loss. Our specialists make us the best hospital for throat infection treatment in Hyderabad and also the best hospital for tonsillitis treatment in Hyderabad.
- Adenoiditis – Adenoids are lymphatic tissues, which are part of our immune system, and present in the throat. Inflammation of adenoids due to infection is called adenoiditis. A few symptoms of this condition are snoring, sore throat, mucus discharge and difficulty in breathing.
- Chronic cough – Cough lasting for more than 8 weeks in adults and 4 weeks in children is called chronic cough. Treatment of the underlying cause of the cough is required. Chronic cough can be a result of tobacco use, postnasal drip, asthma, and acid reflux.
- Non-dental diseases of the mouth – Cold sores caused by bacteria or viruses inside the mouth or on lips, Thrush (yeast infection), Leucoplakia (excess cell growth as white patches), dry mouth and bad breath are all examples of non-dental mouth diseases. These are usually non-threatening and can be treated by proper medication and hygiene practices
- Speech problems – Speech problems often result in communication problems that can affect a person’s quality of life and self-esteem. These problems can be because of physical conditions such as weak muscles of the tongue and mouth, issues with throat or vocal cords or they can be due to damage or inability of the parts of the brain involved in speaking.
- Swallowing problems – Swallowing problems or dysphagia may range from mild difficulty in swallowing foods and liquids to complete and painful blockage of the oesophagus or throat. This may or may not be due to an underlying disease. Dysphagia can be caused due to conditions of the mouth or throat muscles, abnormal growths such as tumors, or brain conditions like ALS and Parkinson’s disease.
- Taste problems – The inability to taste foods correctly or adequately can be a result of respiratory and/or ear infections, injury, exposure to certain chemicals or medication, or it can be congenital.
- Throat symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) – If stomach acid comes up to the throat or nasal airway, it can damage the throat. This can cause chronic coughing, hoarseness, voice problems and choking episodes.
- Tonsillitis – This is the inflammation of the oval-shaped pads of tissue at the back of the throat. Common symptoms are sore throat and difficulty in swallowing. In some cases, tonsils may have to be surgically removed.
- Voice loss problems – There can be many causes of voice loss. These can be as simple as a common cold and cough to overuse of vocal cords to serious conditions such as cancer and neurological conditions.
- Tracheostomy: A tracheostomy is a surgical procedure to create an opening through the neck into the trachea. A tube is usually placed through this opening to provide an airway and to remove secretions from the lungs. This tube is called a tracheostomy tube.
- Hyoid advancement: Hyoid advancement, is a surgical procedure or sleep surgery in which the hyoid bone and its muscle attachments to the tongue and airway are pulled forward with the aim of increasing airway size and improving airway stability
- Voice Evaluation & Microscopic Voice Surgery: Voice Evaluation & Microscopic Voice Surgery is performed to correct voice disorders, speaking or breathing difficulties or other problems affecting the Larynx. Voice evaluation also includes improvement of coordination of speech muscles through strengthening exercises, enhancement of communication between the brain and the body through visual and auditory aids and developing fluency through breathing exercises.
- Tongue advancement: Genioglossus advancement (GA) also known as Genial Tubercle Advancement is a surgical procedure or sleep surgery in which the base of the tongue is pulled forward, usually to increase airway size due to deformity or a sleep breathing disorder.
- Soft palate implants: Soft palate implants are inserted to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnoea. Also known as the Pillar Procedure, the technique involves inserting tiny implants into the soft palate to reduce the vibrations of the tissues, hence reducing snoring.
- Jaw advancement: Jaw Advancement is a surgical procedure carried out to move the upper jaw and the lower jaw forward. The procedure was first used to correct deformities of the facial skeleton to include malocclusion. Mandibular upper advancement is used to correct certain features of face of obstructions in the throat which are contributing factors to sleep apnoea. Lower jaw advancement is performed to correct any imperfections. Jaw Advancement procedures increase breathing space in the throat.
- Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty: Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty is a surgical procedure or sleep surgery used to remove tissue and/or remodel tissue in the throat. Tissues which may typically be removed.
Continental Hospitals have the best ENT doctors in Hyderabad for treating Nose conditions including infections and breathing issues.
- Abnormal sense of smell – Smell disorders can be either a loss of the sense of smell or altered perception of odors. An abnormal sense of smell can be a result of a respiratory infection, hormonal imbalance, exposure to certain chemical compounds or medication.
- Allergies – An allergy is a reaction of the body’s immune system to a foreign substance (Allergen), that doesn’t usually affect most people. Dust, pollen, hay, certain food items, and pet hair are some of the common allergens. An allergic reaction can present itself as uncontrolled sneezing, wheezing, itching, redness of eyes, swelling. In severe cases, allergies can result in life-threatening conditions like anaphylaxis.
- Breathing issues – Difficulty in breathing can result from stress and anxiety or underlying health issues like asthma, respiratory infections, and conditions. Frequent episodes of shortness of breath need immediate medical attention to prevent or treat serious health issues.
- Chronic sinus infections – Inflammation of the sinuses that lasts for longer than 12 weeks is called chronic sinusitis. Mucous accumulation in the sinuses can sometimes make the condition painful and also result in breathing difficulty.
- Nasal obstruction – The blockage of the nasal cavity or nose is called nasal obstruction. The blockage can be anatomical, such as a deviated septum or narrowing of airways, or can be due to foreign objects blocking the nose.
- Nasal polyps (abnormal growths) – Nasal Polyps are teardrop-shaped, hanging, soft growths that line the nasal passages or sinuses. They are usually painless and may not cause much discomfort. Large nasal polyps or abnormal growths need treatment either by way of medication or surgery as they can cause breathing problems, infections, and loss of sense of smell.
- Septal deviation – Septal deviation is the slight displacement of the septum, which is the wall between two nostrils. A deviated septum can cause breathing problems due to narrowing of one nostril and may cause drying or crusting of the nostril that has additional exposure. A septal deviation may be congenital (by birth) or a result of trauma or injury. Surgery is needed to treat this condition.
- Sinusitis: Sinusitis is an inflammation, or swelling, of the tissue lining the sinuses. Normally, sinuses are filled with air. But when they become blocked and filled with fluid, germs (bacteria, viruses, and fungi) can grow and cause an infection.
- Septal deviations or turbinate hypertrophy: Turbinate hypertrophy is due to an enlargement of the turbinates, the small structures within your nose that cleanse and humidify air as it passes through your nostrils into your lungs.
Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for the treatment of ear infections in Hyderabad along with the treatment of other ear problems.
- Balance disorders and Dizziness – Balance disorders are characterized by a sense of unsteadiness or dizziness. Patients usually have a feeling of floating, tipping over, moving or spinning even while standing, sitting or lying down still.
- Ear deformities – Ear deformities may be due to injury (traumatic) or by birth (congenital). These result in a range of problems, either cosmetic, hearing or developmental. Depending on the type of deformity these can be treated y surgical or non-surgical intervention.
- Ear infections – An ear infection occurs when the middle ear is affected by a bacterial or viral infection. It can often be painful and is usually accompanied by inflammation and fluid accumulation.
- Hearing problems and deafness – Hearing impairment means the inability to hear sounds. Hearing loss can be mild, moderate, severe or profound. Deafness can be caused by a host of reasons that include infections, certain diseases or conditions or aging.
- Skin cancers of the head and neck and Tumours of the head and neck – These types of cancers are most commonly of the squamous cells, that line the moist mucosal surfaces of the head and neck, like the inside the mouth, nose, throat. Causes of head and neck cancers include infection like Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), sun exposure, tobacco and alcohol consumption, and radiation exposure.
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) – When there is a ringing in the ears that is not caused by an external sound, it is called tinnitus. The pitch of the ringing can vary and in severe cases may make it difficult for the patient to carry out their daily routine.
- Vertigo – Vertigo stems from the problems of the inner ear that give the feeling that your surroundings are moving. It is different from dizziness as vertigo is the illusion of movement. Vertigo may be triggered by infections, cancers or tumors, injury or certain medications.
- Cochlear implantation: A cochlear implant is an electronic medical device that replaces the function of the damaged inner ear. Unlike hearing aids, which make sounds louder, cochlear implants do the work of damaged parts of the inner ear (cochlea) to provide sound signals to the brain.
- Management of Paediatric Hearing Loss: Early intervention and detection of hearing loss is necessary to prevent additional problems with speech and language development. A health care team approach is normally used when a child is diagnosed with some degree of hearing loss.
Our team of highly qualified and trained specialists providing the finest care and treatments makes us the best ENT hospital in Hyderabad. Our specialists for Ear, Nose and Throat Care are experienced and are pioneers in minimally invasive endoscopic ENT surgical techniques. They also specialize in areas of otology, rhinology, laryngology Revision Ear Surgery, Hearing Aid, Head and Neck Pain, Hearing Impairment and Eardrum Rupture among others.
The doctors at Ear, Nose, and Throat Care Department at Continental Hospitals are members of eminent professional groups like the International Working Group on Ear Surgery, AOI, IASSA, and CIG. They have participated in several conferences and workshops at state, national and international levels and presented numerous papers in their areas of specialization. It is a privilege to work with such dedicated doctors in the field of ENT. If you are looking for the best ENT doctor in Hyderabad, visit Continental Hospital, which is the best hospital for ENT in Hyderabad.
Dr Ashok Kumar Singh
MBBS, DLO, DNB (ENT)
Consultant ENT Surgeon
Dr Asheesh Dora G.B.K
MBBS, MS (ENT), RCS fellow in Laryngology