Andrology & Men’s Health
Andrology is the field of medicine concerned with men’s health, mainly infertility and sexual dysfunction. Andrology comes from the Greek words Andros, meaning man, and Logy, meaning study. It is a sub-speciality of Urology and is a relatively recent medical speciality. This has given it the advantage of being developed with the most medical techniques and clinical science. Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for Men’s Health in Hyderabad with a dedicated department for Andrology.
Andrology deals with issues like Erectile Dysfunction, low levels of testosterone and male infertility. It can be said that it is the male counterpart of gynaecology. Around 50% of all infertility cases can be attributed to male-factor infertility and Prostate problems are common in men above 50 years of age. Even though andrological problems are quite common, this branch of medicine has only recently gained traction. This can be attributed to the increase in awareness and acknowledgement of male reproductive health issues. Andrology has benefitted from the latest in medical science such as molecular biology and genetics. This also makes it a very promising field of medicine with encouraging treatments available for patients.
We understand that these are extremely private topics and need sensitive handling along with the best in medicine. Continental Hospitals gives you the best Men’s Health Doctors in Hyderabad who are highly qualified and experienced in Andrology. With state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure, coupled with our dedicated team of nurses and staff, we have the best Andrology Clinic in Hyderabad, which is at par with international standards.
Why Continental Hospital for Andrology & Men’s Health?
Continental Hospitals is one of the few hospitals in the country with a dedicated Andrology department. We acknowledge the need for attention to Men’s Health and have the best Andrology Clinic in Hyderabad with the latest infrastructure adhering to international standards. What makes us the best hospital for Men’s Health in Hyderabad is our focus on offering the finest experience to patients from the initial consultation to diagnosis, treatment and beyond. We have the best andrologists in Hyderabad and a devoted team of staff who support you throughout your time at Continental Hospitals. If you are looking for an expert Men’s Health Doctor, Continental Hospitals is the place for you.
When you visit the specialists at Continental Hospitals Andrology & Men’s Health department, the first thing to be done would be a consultation. The doctor might ask a series of questions to understand your case and make notes of the same. This can be followed by a physical examination of the scrotum and penis. This is part of the basic evaluation.
Based on the consultation and physical examination, the andrologists can recommend one or more diagnostic tests to make an accurate diagnosis. Few of these have been explained below.
- Hormone Tests
Hormonal imbalance is a common cause of infertility among men. The hormone tests are blood tests that determine levels of various hormones in your body. Primarily hormones pertaining to Men’s Health are
- FSH – Follicle Stimulating Hormone produced by the pituitary gland that is important for the production of sperms in men
- LH – Luteinising Hormone produced by the pituitary gland that stimulates production of testosterone in men
Abnormal levels of these hormones would indicate and allow the doctor to pinpoint the issue and suggest a treatment.
- Genetics Exam
These tests are to determine whether infertility or other andrological problems are genetic, that is they have been inherited by the patient. Genetic abnormalities can be the cause of infertility. These issues can mainly affect sperm production and also the way in which sperm move from the testicles to the semen. Genetics can cause problems like low sperm count, improper sperm formation and production.
- Semen Analysis
This is one of the first tests that is recommended for determining the reproductive health of the patient. This test evaluates the health of the sperms, any abnormalities in sperm count, motility, quality, and possible infections.
- Sperm Count – this determines whether there are adequate number of sperms in the semen sample. Low sperm count causes infertility.
- Sperm motility – this looks at the movement of the sperm. Sperm should be able to swim and move forward in order to reach and fertilize the egg.
- Sperm morphology – this deals with shape of the sperms. Abnormally shaped sperm are not able to penetrate and fertilize the egg.
Depositing a sample for semen analysis can be intimidating for many men. But it is important to understand that semen analysis is a critical diagnostic tool in understanding and treating your reproductive issues. Care is taken to provide complete privacy for sample collection.
- Ultrasound Ultrasound is a painless, safe and non-invasive method to test internal organs of the body. In case of andrology, a probe is used which is directed to produce high frequency sound waves across the targeted part of your body, which is the testicles and surrounding tissues. Images produced by an ultrasound provide information regarding blood flow in the reproductive organs, presence of any lump, tumour or cyst, blockages which may cause low sperm count or quality etc.
Andrology uses some of the most advanced diagnostic tools available in the field of medicine. These tools are extremely useful in pinpointing the cause of infertility and other men’s health issues. Continental Hospitals has up-to-date diagnostic facilities for all types of testing for andrology.
Based on the clinical consultation, examination and diagnostic testing, the specialists will be able to determine your issue. Depending on a case to case basis, treatments will be recommended that may be invasive or non-invasive in nature. Here we will discuss few of the commonly occurring man’s health issues with their possible treatments.
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
ED is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection enough to have a sexual intercourse. It is a fairly common problem which is linked to lifestyle choices like alcoholism, smoking, lack of exercise and can also be a result of other existing conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hormonal imbalance, cancer treatment, surgery and injuries.
- Lifestyle modifications for a healthier body and mind
- Non-surgical options like oral medication, penile injections and erection devices
- In some cases, surgical options like penile implants may help
In most cases, ED is treatable to a satisfactory degree. Treatment options involve
- Ejaculatory Dysfunction (EjD)
EjD means issues with semen ejaculation. This can cause infertility or lead to unsatisfactory sexual experience depending upon the type of ejaculatory dysfunction.
- Premature Ejaculation – This is when semen is released sooner than desired by the person or their partner. This is not a cause of infertility but can be a frustrating problem for a healthy sex life. Treatment available are
- Behavioural therapy – Here the goal is to train the body to increase control over ejaculation. This can be done with the help of your partner.
- Medicines – Drugs are given to lower serotonin levels before intercourse. These need to be administered only under medical advice and the response needs to be monitored closely.
- Creams or sprays – These are numbing formulations that can be applied to the penis and washed off before sex. They lower the sensation thus increasing time of ejaculation.
- Retrograde Ejaculation – This happens when semen travels backwards into the bladder instead of outside through the urethra. Retrograde Ejaculation may not affect the ability of an individual to enjoy sexual intercourse, but will cause infertility. Prostrate or bladder surgery is the most common cause of this condition. It may also be caused as a result of diabetes, multiple sclerosis or certain medications.
This condition does not have any adverse effects on health. But in case of men who want to father children, artificial intrauterine insemination (IUI) or In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) is recommended for the couple.
- Anejaculation – This is the inability to ejaculate despite stimulation of the penis. Most commonly, anejaculation may be a side-effect of medication. Usually the condition disappears when the medication is stopped. Anejaculation may also be a result of spinal or neurological injury. In such cases stimulators are used to given prolonged stimulation to the penis to retrieve semen. This can then be used for IUI or IVF.
- Low Testosterone Levels
Low testosterone levels or Hypogonadism is the inability of the testicles to produce adequate amounts of testosterone in the body. Men with low levels of testosterone may have decreased sex drive, fatigues, lower muscle mass, and infertility.
This condition may occur due to abnormality in testes, which is common in younger males, or due to problem with pituitary gland that stimulates production of testosterone. The later is common in older males.
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is a widely recommended treatment for this condition. Testosterone may be administered orally, by injection or applied to skin by a skin patch or gels. It is important to note that HRT should only be practiced under medical advice. It should also be supplemented with healthy lifestyle choices like wholesome diet and exercise.
- Penile Curvature
Penile Curvature or Peyronie’s disease is when there is a noticeable curve in the penis during erection. This condition can be congenital or occur as a result of an injury. This condition can cause inability to achieve an erection or cause painful erections which in turn cause trouble during sexual intercourse. This condition is treatable in the following ways.
- Non-surgical interventions that include medicines, penile traction devices and injections.
- Surgical interventions for severe cases include plication surgery, graft surgery and penile implants.
This is a condition where the erection lasts for a long period of time. Erection is not related to sexual arousal and can be painful. In absence of immediate treatment, priapism can cause serious damage to the penile tissue and result in erectile dysfunction.
Priapism can happen if blood cannot leave the penis (ischemic priapism) or there is too much blood flow to the penis (non-ischemic priapism). Injury, certain drugs, alcoholism, tumours and blood disorders like sickle cell anaemia and leukaemia can be causes of this condition. Non-ischemic priapism usually goes away by using ice and pressure to ease the erection. Treatment approaches for ischemic priapism are given below.
- Aspiration – draining the blood from penis using a syringe
- Medication – this is injected in the penis to improve blood flow. Oxygen-poor blood is removed and fresh blood is allowed to flow to relieve pain and stop the erection.
- Surgery – this is performed to vent the blood from penis if erection lasts for more than 36 hours.
Varicocele is when the veins inside the scrotum become enlarged. This affects the male fertility by reducing blood flow to the testicles. This causes the temperature of the testicles to rise and results in low- and poor-quality sperms. This condition can result in infertility, pain and testicular hypertrophy (enlargement of testes).
Varicoceles cannot be treated by drugs. But surgical intervention is a promising treatment for this condition.
Vasectomy is a birth control measure where a minor surgical procedure is performed to block the sperm from entering the urethra. This is the most effective method of birth control and far less complicated than female tubectomies. Ejaculation and orgasm are usually not affected due to vasectomy. This is because sperm makes up only a small part of the semen. With increase in awareness, vasectomy is becoming a recognised way of birth control.
Continental Hospitals has the best andrologists in Hyderabad who will recommend the appropriate treatments to you. We also provide the best infrastructure and facilities for surgical as well as non-surgical procedures for andrology. Our staff and nurses are always available to support and guide you in your hospital experience.
Continental Hospitals is dedicated to providing you the finest in Men’s Health. With the best andrology clinic in Hyderabad, we offer the latest in diagnostic tools and treatment for andrology patients. Our team is comprised of some of the best Men’s Health Doctors in the country which makes us the best hospital for Men’s Health in Hyderabad. Our specialists are highly qualified doctors with years of experience and international training. Andrologists at Continental Hospitals have also participated in national and international level workshops on andrology and are abreast with the latest in Men’s Health. Being among the few hospitals in the country to be focussed on this super-speciality, we offer our patients a hassle-free experience. Andrologists are Continental Hospitals provide tailor made management for each patient based on their specific case and condition. We are proud to be associated with the best andrologists in Hyderabad to provide you with premium healthcare services in the field of Men’s Health and Andrology.
We are with you in your journey to better health
A consultation with our panel of doctors, specialists and surgeons will help you determine what kind of services you may need to help diagnose and treat your condition. If you or someone in your family or friend’s circle are facing any health issues, please get in touch with us, we are here for you.