Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation
Neuroscience is a multidisciplinary science that examines the structure and functions of the human brain and nervous system. The Neurosciences Department at Continental Hospitals deals with diseases, disorders, and injuries that affect the human nervous system. Continental Hospitals is acknowledged as one of the best hospitals for the treatment of neurological diseases in Hyderabad and offers advanced treatments and rehabilitation to patients across the globe.
Neurologists who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the nervous system are involved in the treatment of neurological conditions in one of the best hospitals for neurology in Hyderabad. Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for the treatment of neurological diseases in Hyderabad.
Continental Hospitals also houses excellent neurosurgeons, who specialize in neurosurgery, that involve surgery of the brain, nerves or the spinal cord. We have the most advanced Operating Microscope and Neuronavigation that help our neurosurgeons in identifying the abnormal areas in the brain and treat them without damaging the essential parts of the brain. With the help of the sophisticated Neurophysiology (EMG, NCV, EEG) technology and video-EEG diagnostic procedures, our neurosurgeons have ease in carrying out trailblazing investigations, interpreting the results and treating the patients following the investigating procedure.
Continental Hospitals have a specialized and dedicated ‘Emergency Stroke Program’ to treat acute stroke patients. The program consists of a “RAPID ACTION TEAM”, a multidisciplinary team comprising ER physicians, Neurologists, Neurointerventionalists, Imaging Specialists, Emergency Technicians and Nurses. The team is activated the moment a patient with facial and arm weakness, and speech disturbance (FAST) arrives into our Emergency Department.
As the first few hours are essential in the treatment of a stroke and for proper rehabilitation of a patient after a stroke, it is of upmost importance that our ‘RAPID ACTION TEAM’ is ready to receive the patient at any given time. The program is streamlined in such a way that the response time is less and we can save lives.
Continental Hospitals has been awarded Elets Healthcare Innovation Award 2019 at Elets Healthcare Innovation Summit - Chennai on 26 September 2019 for their significant role in increasing efficiency as well as performance in the healthcare industry.
Facilities at Continental Institute of Neurosciences & Rehabilitation
- Cranial Endoscopic Neurosurgery Centre
- Hydrocephalus Centre
- Spine Endoscopic Neurosurgery Surgery Centre
- Endovascular Neurosurgery Center
- Brain Tumor center
- Pituitary Centre
- Acoustic Schwannoma Center
Continental Emergency Stroke Program
Continental Hospitals has a strategically designed Emergency Stroke Program dedicated to treat patients who have experienced an acute stroke. The multidisciplinary Rapid Action Team comprising of ER Physicians, Neurologists, Neurointerventionalists, Imaging Specialists, Emergency Technicians and Nurses is alerted into action the minute a patient displaying FAST symptoms (Facial drooping, Arm Weakness and Speech Difficulty) is brought in to the Emergency Department. As the initial hours of the stroke treatment are of paramount importance, the ER is equipped with the necessary machinery to perform triage and other required interventions like Intravenous Thrombolysis, Intra-arterial Thrombolysis, and Thrombectomy without any unnecessary time delay.
Continental Institute of Rehabilitation:
At Continental Hospitals, we take responsibility for your health the minute you walk through our doors. We however, carry on our post-operative care and follow up with our patients even after they have been discharged and sent home. Our rehabilitative services have been designed to enable our patients to regain neurological functions that have been damaged or lost due to stroke and other injury. Keeping in mind the different requirements of our patients, our expert psychiatrists in Hyderabad collaborate with physiotherapists and dietitian and occupation therapists aim to bring you back to the life you were leading before your neurological injury. We provide a holistic range of services that can be availed at the patient's convenience of time and location. All these factors combined make Continental Institute of Rehabilitation the best rehabilitation centre in Hyderabad.
- Why Choose Continental Hospitals for Neurology and Neurosurgery?
Continental Hospitals provide excellent services for patients (both in-patient and out-patient) in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological conditions and disorders under the able guidance of our neurologists, neurosurgeons with their allied support staff and nursing team.
Our doctors are highly skilled and trained in treating a wide range of neurological conditions such as Hemiplegia, Aphasia, Stroke, Epilepsy, Alzheimer’s Disease (PD), Dementia, Neuropathy, Neuralgia, Multiple Sclerosis, Myasthenia Gravis, Alzheimer's Disease, Brain Tumour, Pituitary Tumour, Hydrocephalus, etc. They are aided by advanced medical technology which helps in the diagnosis and treatment of patients, who are suffering from neurological conditions or diseases.
Some of the diagnostic procedures carried out at Continental Hospitals include Nerve Conduction Tests, Electromyography Studies, Motor Unit Number Estimation, Autonomic Nervous System Evaluation, Small Fiber Neuropathy Evaluation, Invasive & Non- Invasive Video EEG Tests, High-speed CT imaging, High Definition PET, SPECT, MRI, 4D CT scan, Interventional Angiography, EMG Testing, Sleep Patterns Test and Neuropsychological evaluations, etc.
Continental Hospitals is one of the best hospitals for neurology in Hyderabad as it offers cutting-edge interventional neurology services. Neuro Interventionalists with special training in minimally invasive procedures offer advanced image-based diagnoses and treatment for diseases of the brain and spine.
Moreover, our team of professionals have also the unique distinction of performing Vagal Nerve Stimulation, a procedure to “treat difficult epilepsies”, for the first time in the country. This team further enjoys the distinction of performing large number of surgeries in the country.
Continental Hospitals has established comprehensive, technologically advanced intensive care units with emphasis on patient privacy, calm surroundings, visitor stay facilities and patient-physician conference rooms.
Technology at Continental Institute of Neurosciences & Rehabilitation
Neurology as a medical science requires extreme precision and experience. Our board of doctors at Continental Institute of Neurosciences is supported by advanced technology in terms of sophisticated equipment, cutting edge techniques and a myriad of accurate diagnostic procedures, making it one of the most advanced neurology hospitals in Hyderabad.
- HD PET CT imaging, high end operating microscope (Karl Zeiss 700)
- State of the art MRI, SPECT with advanced neurophysiology like EMG, NCV, EEG.
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation offers highly advanced image-based diagnostics tests for accurate evaluation and management of neurological problems. It is equipped with the state-of-the-art MRI and CT equipment, and PET CT Imaging to give patients superior quality care that they truly deserve.
In addition to physical examination, neurologists require carrying out a variety of diagnostic tests that help them to diagnose neurological disorders, diseases affecting their patients and can help in planning an appropriate course of treatment.
Some of the diagnostic procedures that are carried out at our hospital for the treatment of neurological conditions are:
- Nerve Conduction Tests
- Electromyography Studies
- Evoked Potential Studies
- Motor Unit Number Estimation
- Autonomic Nervous System Evaluation
- Small Fiber Neuropathy Evaluation
- Invasive & Non- Invasive Video EEG Tests
- High-speed CT imaging
- High Definition PET, SPECT, MRI, 4D CT scan
- Interventional Angiography
- EMG Testing
- Genetic Testing
- Sleep Patterns Test
- Neuropsychological evaluations
The facilities available at Continental Hospitals’ Institute of Neurosciences & Rehabilitation for the diagnosis of neurological conditions include
- Cranial Endoscopic Neurosurgery Centre
- Hydrocephalus Centre
- Spine Endoscopic Neurosurgery Surgery Centre
- Endovascular Neurosurgery Centre
- Brain Tumour centre
- Pituitary Centre
- Acoustic Schwannoma Centre
- Emergency Stroke Program
Continental Institute of Neuroscience consists of highly dexterous and best neurosurgeons in Hyderabad who have years of training under renowned international experts. We offer specialized treatments of various disorders affecting the brain, nerves and spinal cord. Our experts have exceptional training, skillsets and proficiency to perform every complicated neurosurgery in Hyderabad, centered on short recovery times, minimum post- surgery complications and complete rehabilitation of the patient. Our doctors regularly carry out epilepsy treatment in Hyderabad through advanced minimally invasive surgical procedures.
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Intensive Trauma Management
- Micro- neurosurgery for all types of intracranial tumors.
- Movement Disorders like Dystonia, essential tremor, Ataxia, Parkinson's Disease
- Stereotactic Surgery: Biopsy, Aspiration, Craniotomy, Functional Neurosurgery for movement disorders, Psychosurgery
- Spine Surgery for Spinal Tumor, Prolapsed Disc.
- Vascular Surgery: Aneurysm, Arterio Venous Malformation (AVM), Carotid Endarterectomy, Extra Cranial & Revascularization Surgery.
What are the different diseases/conditions treated by the Institute of Neurosciences?
Neurological disorders are diseases that affect the nervous system that includes the brain, spinal cord and the nerves connecting them. There are many nervous system disorders that require clinical care. The neurologists and neurosurgeons at the Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation diagnose, treat and provide their expert medical opinions on more than 150 conditions affecting the brain, nervous system and functioning.
Some of the neurological diseases/conditions that are treated here are:
- Hemiplegia-is paralysis of one lateral half of the body or part of it resulting from injury to the motor centers of the brain that control movement of the body.
Hemiplegia, like other forms of paralysis, it is characterized by a significant loss of sensation and control in the affected area.
- Aphasia-is loss or impairment of the power to use or comprehend words usually resulting from a brain lesion. It is a neurological disorder caused by damage to the portions of the brain that are responsible for language production or processing.
It may occur suddenly or progressively, depending on the type and location of brain tissue involved.
- Stroke- Stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is suddenly interrupted or when a blood vessel in the brain bursts, spilling blood into the spaces surrounding brain cells. Brain cells die when they no longer receive oxygen and nutrients from the blood or there is sudden bleeding into or around the brain. It is characterized by sudden loss of consciousness, sensation and voluntary motion caused by rupture or obstruction of an artery of the brain. Read more
Continental Hospitals have a specialized and dedicated ‘Emergency Stroke Program’ to treat acute stroke patients. The program consists of a “RAPID ACTION TEAM”, a multidisciplinary team comprising ER physicians, Neurologists, Neurointerventionalists, Imaging Specialists, Emergency Technicians, and Nurses. The team is activated the moment a patient with facial and arm weakness, and speech disturbance (FAST) arrives into our Emergency Department.
As the first few hours are essential in the treatment of a stroke and for proper rehabilitation of a patient after a stroke, it is of utmost importance that our ‘RAPID ACTION TEAM’ is ready to receive the patient at any given time. The program is streamlined in such a way that the response time is less and we can save lives. As the rehabilitation period is the most significant and challenging part of a Stroke patient’s life, our team of physical, occupational, and speech therapists, along with nurses and doctors help patients regain their neurological functions lost from damage due to stroke. Our therapists provide psychological, emotional and moral support to the patient during the period so that each patient recovers and leads a healthy life.
- Epilepsy– is a brain disorder typically manifested by convulsive attacks, ranges from severe, life-threatening and disabling, to ones that are much more benign. In epilepsy, the normal pattern of neuronal activity becomes disturbed, causing strange sensations, emotions, and behaviour or sometimes convulsions, muscle spasms, and loss of consciousness. Read more
Continental Comprehensive Epilepsy Centre is one of most well equipped centres in the country, staffed by neurophysicians having rich experience in management of patients with epilepsy. The centre has state-of-art video-EEG machine, advanced imaging facilities, and other infrastructure needed to treat epilepsies. Complex epilepsy surgeries are being done at this centre with excellent results bringing much relief to the patients who have epilepsy.
- Alzheimer’s disease – a degenerative disease of the central nervous system, is age-related, non-reversible brain disorder that develops over a period of years. It involves memory loss and confusion in patients that gradually leads to behaviour and personality changes, decline in decision making, language skills and inability to recognise family and friends. Read more
- Parkinson’s disease (PD)- a chronic progressive nervous disease of later life that is marked by tremor and weakening of resting muscles and identified by a peculiar gait. It is characterised by trembling in hands, arms, legs, jaw and face, rigidity or stiffness of limbs and trunk, slowness of movement and impaired balance and coordination in patients suffering from Parkinsonism. Read more
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation is the best hospital for the treatment of Alzheimer ’s disease (PD) in Hyderabad as the doctors are committed in helping patients suffering from these neurological diseases by effective management of any conditions accompanying these degenerative diseases and providing quality-of-life care to them.
- Dementia– is a condition of deteriorated mental state of an individual to such an extent that it interferes with the individual’s daily life and activities.
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation is the best hospital for the treatment of Dementia in Hyderabad as our team of physical, occupational, and speech therapists, along with nurses and doctors help patients in their daily activities and long term care.
- Neuropathy– is an abnormal and usually degenerative state of the nervous system that involves acute or chronic pain accompanying inflammation or injury to tissues for patients suffering from it.
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation is the best hospital for the treatment of Neuropathy in Hyderabad as it equipped with world class medical technology and unmatched professional neurological care for patients suffering from neuropathy.
- Neuralgia-is a stabbing, burning, and often severe pain due to an irritated or damaged nerve in the body.
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation is the best hospital for the treatment of Neuralgia in Hyderabad, wherein the neurologists offer the best advice and treatment to patients suffering from Neuralgia.
- Multiple Sclerosis– a diseased condition marked by patches of hardened tissue in the brain or the spinal cord and associated especially with partial or complete paralysis and jerking muscle tremor.
The neurologists and therapists at the Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation help the patients suffering from Multiple Sclerosis by providing medication and physical therapy.
- Myasthenia gravis– a disease characterized by progressive weakness of the skeletal muscles of the body, which are responsible for breathing and moving parts of the body.
- Pituitary Tumour : Read more
- Brain Tumour : Read more
The neurologists at the Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation will provide the best treatment to patients suffering from Myasthenia gravis and hence it is the best hospital for the treatment of Myasthenia gravis in Hyderabad.
What are the neurosurgeries done at the Institute of Neurosciences?
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation have neurosurgeons who are experienced in a wide range of techniques of the brain or spinal cord surgeries. Some of these surgeries may include the latest minimally invasive surgeries that ensure faster recovery time and less scarring with the latest high-tech equipment. When these minimally invasive surgeries are not an option, conventional invasive surgeries are carried out by the highly experienced and skilled neurosurgeons at our hospital.
Neurosurgery procedures available at our Hospital include
- Stereo EEG Implantation- Stereoelectroencephalography, also called stereo-EEG or sEEG, is a minimally invasive procedure. It is used to identify areas of the brain where epileptic seizures originate by the use of electrodes.
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation is the best hospital for neurosurgery in Hyderabad, where such minimally invasive procedure is carried out in patients who have epilepsy.
- Subdural Grid Implantation– Implanted EEG electrodes are often necessary to pinpoint the origin of seizure activity. Subdural grids are a type of Implanted EEG electrodes that are directly placed by the surgeon on the brain to know the precise location of the source of the seizure as well as functional areas that control speech and movement.
Continental Comprehensive Epilepsy Center is one of the well-equipped centres in the country staffed by neuro physicians with rich experience in management of patients with epilepsy. The centre has state-of-art video-EEG machine, advanced imaging facilities, and the other infrastructure needed to treat severe epilepsies.
- Intraoperative EEG– Intraoperative electroencephalographic (EEG) monitoring present an opportunity to monitor changes in human brain electrical activity during changing states of consciousness like sleep or general anesthesia.
- Functional Brain Mapping-also called as FBM, is an integral part of contemporary neurosurgery. Functional brain mapping combines neuropsychological test results of cortical functions such as attention and executive functioning, with brain mapping to more accurately diagnose a variety of cognitive, neurobehavioral and Neuropsychiatric disorders.
Neuro physicians at Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation use Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to examine the brain’s functional anatomy to determine which parts of the brain are handling critical functions, evaluate the effects of stroke or other diseases to enable the required treatment.
- Craniotomy-is a surgical procedure in which a section of the skull is removed to access the brain beneath in order to treat neurological disorders. Neurosurgeons at Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation perform these critical neurosurgeries with utmost skill aided by the latest start of the art medical equipments.
- Complex Temporal Epilepsy Surgery- Temporal lobectomy is the most common type of surgery for people with temporal lobe epilepsy that involves removal of a part of the anterior temporal lobe along with the amygdala and hippocampus of the brain. A temporal lobectomy leads to a significant reduction or complete seizure control about 70% to 80% of the time.
- Complex Lesioned Epilepsy Surgery– is complex surgical procedure involved in removal of well-defined lesions in parts of the brain and there is higher rate of success of being seizure-free after the surgery.
- Hemispherectomy- is a neurosurgical procedure in which one half of the affected brain is totally or partially removed, disconnected or disabled from the unaffected side
- Deep Brain Stimulation– is neurosurgical procedure that involves implanting a neurostimulator device that sends electrical signals to certain areas of the brain. This surgery is recommended for people who have had Parkinson’s disease for at least four years and helps to lessen motor symptoms of stiffness, slowness and tremor in patients
- Thrombolysis– is a low risk procedure used to break up abnormal blood clots that restrict blood flow in veins and arteries either involving medication or a machine.
- Mechanical thrombectomy- is a type of minimally-invasive procedure in which an interventional radiologist uses specialized equipment to remove a clot from a patient’s artery. Continental Hospitals is one of India’s leading centres to offer cutting-edge interventional neurology services. Neuro Interventionalists with special training in minimally invasive procedures offer advanced image-based diagnoses and treatment for diseases of the brain and spine. Neuro-Interventional services is an integral part of Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation.
- Botulinum Toxin Injection- given in the right spot to the patient can help patients suffering from Blepharospasm, Cervical dystonia, Spasticity and other neurological symptoms.
Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for the treatment of neurological diseases in Hyderabad.
Continental Institute of Neurosciences is helmed by the best neurologists in Hyderabad, providing patients with access to improved diagnosis and therapies that are carried out on state-of-the-art facilities. Our caregivers from different specialties work collaboratively to evaluate and put together a plan of treatment that is individualized according to each patient's condition factors. At Continental Hospitals, you can be assured that your case is being handled by some of the best neurosurgeons in Hyderabad. The team includes experts from head and neck surgery, brain and nervous system surgery, tumors of brain and nervous system, sleep disorders, ophthalmology, orthopedics among others. Being leaders of their fields, our neurologists have immense expertise in molecular, translation and clinical work. This varied expertise is focused on every individual patient in a timely, accurate and cost-effective manner, making Continental Hospitals the most preferred neurology hospital in Hyderabad. Our Centre of Excellence also features the best neurologists in Hyderabad who have specialized in pediatric cases. A team of specialists is formed depending on the child's case and upon careful deliberation a well- rounded treatment plan is constructed. Working in collaboration with other pediatric doctors increases quality of care and the chances of a successful outcome of the child patient.
Continental Institute of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation is committed to balancing clinical excellence with safe, high-quality, compassionate care for our patients. Our neurosurgery specialists from the various branches of neurology provide comprehensive treatment and high-quality care to our patients. Our Neurology consultants are committed to delivering the best in their field. For appointments and consultation with some of the best neurology specialists in the country, visit Continental Hospitals Hyderabad today.
Dr Rajasekhara Reddy Konda
MBBS, MS (Gen Surgery), M Ch (Neuro Surgery)
Consultant Neuro and Spine Surgeon
Dr Kailas Mirche
MBBS, MD (Int Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Associate Consultant Neurologist
Dr Laxminadh Sivaraju
MBBS, MCH Neurosurgery
Dr M K Singh
M.B.B.S, M.D, D.N.B, D.M
Dr Rama Chandra Naidu Mallarapu (M R C Naidu)
MBBS, DNB (Neuro Surgery), M Ch (Neuro Surgery), Fellowship in Neurological Surgery
Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon