The building, improving and sustaining the health care delivery needs of the Nation.
Department of Hematology & BMT
Hematology is the branch of internal medicine that deals with blood and related disorders. Hematologists are specialists who have undergone training to treat and manage disorders of blood, bone marrow and the lymphatic system. BMT or Bone Marrow Transplant is an important subject in hematology that is helpful in treating conditions like leukaemia. Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for bone marrow transplant in Hyderabad as well as best hospital for pediatric bone marrow transplant in Hyderabad. Leading the charge for Hematology, at Continental Hospitals, is one of the most well-known names in hematology in India. With Dr. S.K. Gupta on board, Continental Hospitals boasts of the having the best hematologist in Hyderabad.
The Department of Hematology and BMT at Continental Hospitals treats patients suffering from disorders like anemia, deep vein thrombosis, hemophilia, thalassemia, and also cancers of the blood, lymphatic system and bone marrow. The best doctor for treatment of blood disorders coupled with our state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure gives you the best hospital for treatment of blood cancer in Hyderabad and other hematological disorders.
Our team possesses expertise in Blood disorders like Leukaemia, Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, Aplastic Anemia, Thalassemia and Sickle Cell disease, hemophagocytic syndromes, immune-deficiencies etc. This includes Hematological disorders in both adult and paediatric patients, which affect blood and bone marrow directly or indirectly. At Continental Hospitals we believe that early diagnosis and proper guidance can go a long way in treating or successfully managing hematological disorders. Even more so in case of Paediatric patients, which is why were are the choice for paediatric bone marrow transplant hospital in Hyderabad. Guidance is especially required for oncology patients who have undergone or are planning procedures like organ replacement and organ removal. Continental Hospitals is especially recognised as one of the best bone marrow transplant hospitals in Hyderabad.
Why Choose Continental Hospitals for Hematology & BMT?
Continental Hospitals is already a name of repute in the medical industry. With our commitment to serve the community with the finest in medical care, we have started the Department of Hematology and BMT. Whether you need a Bone Marrow Transplant, or treatment for lymphoma, myeloma, thalassemia, or anemia, Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for Hematology and BMT in Hyderabad.
We not only diagnose, manage and treat oncology patients in need of hematology care, but we are also the best hospital for treatment of lymphatic system related disorders in Hyderabad. These conditions may be congenital or develop as a result of cancer treatment or injury. Continental Hospitals is also the place for swollen lymph node treatment in Hyderabad, and Lymphoma treatment in Hyderabad.
Our hematology team works with other competent teams at the hospital. This is because blood disorders can be linked to other conditions or diseases that are the underlying cause of a particular disorder. This makes our approach interdepartmental and truly holistic. Thus, providing the best treatment for Hematology and BMT in Hyderabad.
Blood and related disorders sound terrifying and in such a condition it is vital to have the best hematologist by your side. Our team, led by Dr. S.K. Gupta, brings years of experience and expertise. Continental Hospitals is a name synonymous with the best the medical field has to offer. Our dedicated doctors and staff ensure that you get the proper guidance and support you need while dealing with a potentially demoralizing situation. We are the best hematology hospital in Hyderabad providing the latest in diagnosis and treatment.
Early diagnosis and treatment are key in successfully managing or curing hematological conditions. It is important not to ignore development of anything unusual or out of the ordinary in your body. Our doctors also look for the minutest of details to provide the most accurate diagnosis and treatment. Most conditions give warning signs well before the problem gets out of hand. And thankfully, with the proper diagnosis and correct treatment, many life-threatening conditions are potentially curable.
The first step would typically be for the doctor to examine the patient and ask relevant questions about their condition. This gives the doctor vital information and clues regarding an underlying condition. There may be symptoms like tiredness, weakness, giddiness, shortness of breath, excess sweating, swollen lymph nodes, easy bruising, persistent back pain, spontaneous fractures, persistent fever etc. Symptoms might also be more serious like unexplained kidney failure, recurrent abortions, infections etc.
Based on this the doctor makes some primary conclusions and may suggest blood tests. It can be said that blood tests are the most important part in the diagnosis for hematology. There are many blood tests that are conducted at Continental Hospitals. Few of them have been explained below.
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Red blood cells (RBC) – these are the cells that carry oxygen to all parts of the body
- White blood cells (WBC) – these are a part of the body’s immune system and help in fighting infections.
- Platelets – these cells help in clotting of blood in case of injury
- Hematocrit red blood cell volume (HCT) – this is the proportion of red blood cells versus the fluid component (or plasma) of blood.
- Hemoglobin (HB) – this is the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells.
- Differential white blood count – there are different types of WBCs in the body. This count measures each type of WBC present in blood.
- Red blood cell indices – these are measurements that give information about hemoglobin content and size of RBCs.
- Any abnormal value or deformity in any of these counts can indicate an underlying medical condition. This would be further evaluated by your doctor to provide you with the best course of treatment. These tests are also useful in monitoring an existing condition or course of treatment.
- Prothrombin time (PT), Partial Thromboplastin Time (PTT) and International Normalized Ratio (INR) – these tests determine whether your blood is clotting normally to ensure that there is no excessive bleeding at the time of surgery. It is also useful in evaluating the efficacy of blood clotting or thinning medication.
- Bone marrow biopsy – this test is to evaluate a sample of bone marrow from the body. Bone marrow is responsible for producing blood cells and it is the innermost soft part of the bones. A sample is removed from the body using a small needle and checked for abnormalities.
CBC is used to detect a wide range of hematological disorders. It is also helpful in evaluating the overall health of the patient. As the name suggests, a complete blood count measure the different components of blood. These components are
Continental Hospitals is the best hospital for treatment of hematological conditions in Hyderabad. We provide the latest and pioneering treatments for various disorders of the blood. Depending on a detailed diagnosis, out specialists suggest the appropriate treatment or course of action for each patient. Some of the conditions and treatments have been explained below.
- Bone Marrow Transplant – A bone marrow transplant is to replace the existing bone marrow of the patient, that has been damaged by a disease, an infection or in some cases by chemotherapy during cancer treatment. The transplantation of healthy bone marrow cells are introduced in the patient’s body to promote growth of new marrow and thereby production of new blood cells. Paediatric bone marrow transplant is done in young patients who may be suffering from a congenital disorder.
- Bone marrow is the innermost part of the bone that is the spongy, fatty tissue. It is responsible for producing RBCs, WBCs and platelets. Bone marrow is composed of blood forming stem cells called the hematopoietic stem cells, or HSCs. These are unspecialised cells, which means that they can mature into many different kinds of blood cells. These cells found in the bone marrow produce new blood cells throughout a person’s life.
- Healthy stem cells may come from a donor, or they may be healthy cells from the patient’s own body. This is usually the case when cells have been harvested from the patient before start of chemotherapy or radiation therapy and adequately stored.
- Some cases in which bone marrow transplant can be done are given below.
- Aplastic anemia – this is disorder in which the marrow stops making new blood cells
- Cancers such as
Leukaemia – this is the cancer of body’s blood forming tissue, which includes the marrow and the lymphatic system. It affects the body’s ability to fight infections as a high number of unfit WBCs are produced. These cells cannot fight infections like normal WBCs and also crowd the RBC and platelet production of the body.
Lymphoma – this is a cancer of the lymphatic system. This system includes the lymph nodes, spleen, thymus gland and bone marrow. Lymphoma reduces the capacity of the body to fight infections and makes the person immunocompromised.
Multiple myeloma – this is a cancer of the plasma, a type of white blood cells. These cells multiply and accumulate in large numbers, damaging and crowding out healthy cells.
- Damaged bone marrow due to chemotherapy – Chemotherapy and radiation therapy used in oncology treatment can have side effects. One of them is damage to the bone marrow. In such patients, BMT has been found to be especially useful.
- Congenital neutropenia – this is a genetic disorder which is inherited by the patient. This results in recurring infections due to the deficiency of neutrophils in the body. Neutrophils are a type of WBC that fight infections and play a role in inflammation.
- Sickle cell anemia – this is a type of genetic disorder where the shape of the red blood cells is improper. This makes them inefficient in carrying oxygen to all parts of the body. The cells can also block flow of blood because of being misshapen.
- Thalassemia – this is again a congenital defect where there is severe deficiency of hemoglobin in the blood. The body makes an abnormal form of hemoglobin or cannot make enough hemoglobin. This results in destruction of RBCs and reduced oxygen in the body.
Some complications may result from BMT, as is a possibility with all transplants. But it is encouraging to note that in most cases with the proper guidance and medication these complications can be managed. This is exactly what you get when you come to Continental Hospitals, the best hospital for leukaemia treatment in Hyderabad and the best hospital for thalassemia treatment in Hyderabad, and other conditions requiring bone marrow transplant.
There are a two different types of bone marrow transplants.
- Autologous Transplants
- Allogeneic Transplants
In this type of transplant, the patient’s own healthy stem cells are used. This is common in oncology patients where cells are harvested before starting chemotherapy or radiation therapy. These cells are then used for BMT after the cancer treatment is over. This way cells of the patient are returned to their body. This type of transplant can only be considered if the patient’s marrow is healthy. The advantage is that it reduces the chances of BMT complications such as rejection of cells by the host, which is a possibility in any transplant.
In allogenic transplants, the healthy cells are from a donor who is a close genetic match. The closer the match the better are the chances of a successful transplant. Typically, the donor is a close relative, but genetic matches can also be found in an unrelated donor.
These transplants have a higher risk compared to the autologous transplants. This is because there is a greater possibility of rejection of donor cells from the host. Patients are given immunosuppressant medication to facilitate the acceptance of these cells.
A subset of allogenic transplant is haploidentical transplant. In this case the donor and host cells are a half-match and not a complete match. The donor is usually a family member. This is considered when there is a need for a BMT but a higher match is not available.
At Continental Hospitals it is our mission to provide you with all the support you need for bone marrow transplants. Which is why we are the best hospital for bone marrow transplant in Hyderabad.
In addition to bone marrow transplants, there are a host of treatments that Continental Hospitals provides for treatment and management of hematological disorders. Anemia is one such common condition prevalent in the country. We are the best hospital for treatment of anemia in Hyderabad. In addition to this we also provide treatment for swollen lymph nodes in Hyderabad.
Continental Hospitals in Hyderabad are one of the few facilities in India that offers this comprehensive program. To do so, it has assembled a team of surgeons, transplant specialists, cardiologists, intensivists, anesthetists, heart transplant co-coordinators, nurses, care managers, physiotherapists, dietitians, and other paramedical and support staff to make it one of the frontrunners for heart transplants in India. Their heart transplant specialists are the very best in Hyderabad and the country, being extremely qualified, experienced and skilled at their trade. They stay abreast of the latest by regular training and collaboration with co-surgeons across the globe. The entire team is determined and dedicated and will accompany you on this journey to a renewed lease of life. Their involvement stays from diagnosis through surgery and the stay in the hospital and after recovery to manage your care at every stage. They educate the patient and the family about the entire process, the dos, and don'ts and share the emotional aspect of the journey. The team is supported by a robust infrastructure to handle all the varied needs of this department. Together they make Continental Hospitals the best hospital in Hyderabad for heart transplant surgery in Hyderabad.
We are with you in your journey to better health
A consultation with our panel of doctors, specialists and surgeons will help you determine what kind of services you may need to help diagnose and treat your condition. If you or someone in your family or friend’s circle are facing any health issues, please get in touch with us, we are here for you.
You maybe interested in
We are committed to deliver an exceptional patient experience
This simple tool allows you to search and ﬁnd a doctor belonging to a particular specialty in any of our hospital locations. There are two ways by which you can search. Search by selecting a city followed by our hospital location of your interest within that city and then the specialty for which you are looking to ﬁnd a doctor. Alternatively, if you already know the name of the doctor you are looking for, please type the correct name in the "Search by doctor's name" search bar and click on Go!