Oral Cancer refers to the Cancers that can originates in the oral cavity. The cancer can originate in the lips, gums, tongue, cheeks, inner & upper parts of the mouth. The incidence of oral cancer is high in people consuming tobacco products. Oral cancers primarily affect the flat, squamous cells in the lips and the inside of the mouth and therefore most oral cancers are squamous cell carcinomas.
What are the causes & risk factors of oral cancer?
Oral Cancer is caused by the genetic mutation of cells turning them from normal to abnormal cells in the oral cavity. The exact cause of the mutation is yet unascertained. Some of the factors that increase the risk of oral cancer are enumerated below:
- Oral consumption of tobacco
- Oral consumption of tobacco
- Exposure of the lips to UV rays
- Weakened immune system
What are the signs & symptoms of oral cancer?
The common symptoms of Oral Cancer can be enumerated as the following
- Persistent sore throat
- Sores & ulcers of the mouth or lips
- Lumps in the oral cavity
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Loosening of teeth
- Bleeding gums
How can we prevent oral cancer?
Complete prevention of oral cancers may not currently be possible, but one can definitely reduce the possibility of developing the condition by staying away from tobacco use in any form. Consume alcohol in a limited quantity and avoid excessive exposure of the lips to sun. It is also advisable to take good dental care of yourself, which includes visiting a dentist regularly.
What are the treatment options for oral cancer?
The treatment options for oral cancer are based on the stage of the condition and the location of the cancerous cells. Based on these criteria, the doctors are likely to prescribe either one or a combination or all of the following options – surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
Surgical options for oral cancer treatment include – surgical removal of the tumors by removing the tumors and a part of the affected area; secondly, in some cases the cancer cells may have spread to the lymph nodes and that may require a surgery to remove lymph nodes and related tissue in the neck – known as neck dissection.
Once surgery has been completed to remove the cancerous cells and the nearby regions, the doctors will undertake a reconstructive surgery to rebuild the oral cavity, to help the patient regain the ability to talk and eat as normally as possible.
Why choose us for oncology consultation or cancer treatment?
- It is crucial to seek the finest medical care for the treatment of cancer. We have a team of best oncologists, top cancer surgeons and other experts who are highly skilled and trained in evaluating and treating the most complex and challenging forms of cancer, through a personalized treatment plan based on the cancer type, stages of cancer and the disease progression.
- The multifaceted cancer care program also includes Pain and Palliative Treatment, Reconstruction, Comorbidity Management, Diet, Nutrition and Rehabilitation.
- We have a tumour board where all our specialists come together to discuss difficult and challenging cases in order to determine the best surgical resections, the best imagining strategies and the best medical oncology care. This type of multidisciplinary tumour board approach is associated with the most effective outcomes worldwide as it helps to establish the best treatment plan for each individual patient. Once the case is discussed in depth in the Tumour Board, the hospital offers a range of treatments required for overall cancer care.
- We put together an personalized plan taking into consideration not only your specific diagnosis but also your family history, lifestyle and general health.
- Our medical expertise combined with the availability of advanced medical technology for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and the excellent team of allied support staff and nursing team that we have, ensure that you get the best possible outcomes.
- Our doctors are specialized in treating a wide range of cancers including Breast Cancer, Oral Cancer, Thyroid tumour, Lung Cancer, Oesophageal Cancer, Stomach Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Pancreatic Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Peritoneal Malignancy, Lymphoma, Leukaemia, Malignant Tumour and Metastatic Tumour.
- We also have special un-wait zones where we ensure that a shorter wait time and a better atmosphere is provided to not just the patients but to also the care givers in the waiting areas.
- The main objective of our team of surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, oncology nurses, and cancer support staff is to collaborate with each other to effectively and efficiently meet the needs of cancer patients and their families. We are there with you throughout your journey in fighting cancer and successfully come out of it and thereby empower you to take control of your health again. We strive our best to achieve this.