Best Gastroenterologist Hospital in Hyderabad
Gastro & Liver Diseases Institute in Hyderabad
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine that is focused on the digestive system and its disorders. It is the study of the diseases and pathology of the stomach and intestines. It is also considered as the study of the normal function and diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon and rectum, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts, and liver.
Gastroenterologists are specialists in the field of Gastroenterology and have extensive knowledge in the normal physiology of the gastrointestinal organs, the motility of the gastrointestinal tract, the maintenance of healthy digestion and absorption of nutrients in the body and prompt removal of metabolic waste from the body.
Any disruptions in the normal functions of the stomach and intestines cause disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) (irritable colon) in which the colon muscles contract more than usual and cause abdominal pains and cramps, excess gas, bloating, alternating constipation and diarrhoea and change in bowel movements. Another such disorder is Pancreaticobiliary disorders, a complex disorder that affects the gall bladder, biliary ducts and the pancreas, where any obstructions, tumors, injuries, lesions, and leakages in these structures causes symptoms like gallstones, bile duct stones, pancreatic stones, pancreatic cancer, Congenital diseases of the bile ducts, etc.
The liver is one of the most complex organs of the body, which has many essential functions, chief among them being converting food to energy and storing it as glycogen as well as removing toxins and impurities from the blood. If the liver disease develops then the liver functions are disrupted and cause Hepatitis A or jaundice, Hepatitis B, tumours, etc.
Gastro & Liver Diseases Institute in Hyderabad - Continental Hospitals has well-renowned gastroenterologists who have received quality education from the best and reputed institutes in the world and have extensive knowledge in the field of endoscopic biliary examination, endoscopic ultrasound and other modern procedures in endoscopy. They also perform minimally invasive surgeries to treat tumours. Continental Hospitals is the best gastroenterologist hospital in Hyderabad on account of having the best gastroenterologists in Hyderabad who provide excellent medical care to the patients.
Technology at Gastro Institute in Hyderabad
At Gastro Institute in Hyderabad - Continental Hospitals, we believe in offering our patients the highest quality of medical care. Our physicians combine their excellent surgical skill and clinician talent with some of the latest state of the art technology and modern medical instruments to provide an uncompromised quality of treatment. Leveraging innovative medical technologies enables our gastroenterologist to gain clear visual access to the interiors of the body, scrutinize any sign of infection and prevent the spread of disease.
The Endoscopy & Motility Suite at Gastro Institute in Hyderabad - Continental Hospitals has been designed to make general endoscopy services convenient and accessible for our patients. The six procedure rooms at the suite are equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic endoscopy tools and machinery. Every instrument and accessory used in the processes is sterilized and disinfected in lines of the Hospital Sterilization Procedures ensures that we maintain a 0% cross infection rate.
The understanding of gastroenterological illnesses by a gastroenterologist is a very complex science as it is not a simple diagnosis based on stomach pain, diarrhoea, and nausea, but, other factors like stress, quality of life and daily functioning of the patient have to be taken into consideration by these specialists. Continental Hospital is the best gastroenterologist hospital in Hyderabad and has the best gastroenterologist who understands the complexities of the diseases or disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract and the various functions of the organs.
The Endoscopy & Motility Suite at Gastro Institute in Hyderabad - Continental Hospitals has six procedure rooms that are equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic endoscopic tools and equipment. Our centre follows Hospital Sterilization procedures and prevention and reduction of healthcare-associated infections is a top priority for our Hospital. In this aspect, we have achieved a 0% cross-infection rate.
The understanding of gastroenterological illnesses by a gastroenterologist is a very complex science as it is not a simple diagnosis based on stomach pain, diarrhea, and nausea, but, other factors like stress, quality of life and daily functioning of the patient have to be taken into consideration by these specialists. Continental Hospitals have the best gastroenterologist in Hyderabad who understands the complexities of the diseases or disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract and the various functions of the organs.
The Endoscopy & Motility Suite at Continental Institute of Gastroenterology has six procedure rooms that are equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic endoscopic tools and equipment. Our center follows Hospital Sterilization procedures and prevention and reduction of healthcare-associated infections is a top priority for our Hospital. In this aspect, we have achieved a 0% cross-infection rate.
The facilities available at Continental Institute of Gastroenterology include:
Facilities at Continental Institute of Gastroenterology
The Liver Transplant Programme at Continental Hospitals covers both cadaveric and live donor transplant. The Programme features the best liver transplant specialists in Hyderabad who have successfully carried out liver transplants in adult and paediatric cases. The team includes full-time, trained and licensed Liver Surgeons, Hepatologists and a Transplant Coordinator who execute deceased as well as live donor transplants for patients of all age groups and are available round-the-clock for supervising the care in the post-operative period, intervening promptly whenever necessary. The team holds the record of achieving 100% success in liver transplant surgeries.
Centre for Rehabilitation at Continental Hospitals provides comprehensive post- operative care with the aim of maximizing the smooth recuperation of our patients. Post-surgical procedures often require careful observation of the patient's diet, movement and psychological functions. Our excellent nursing team along with experts from sub specialties forms a collaborative observatory team to look after every patient's medical and emotional needs in the convalescing period.
Continental Hospitals provide comprehensive care to each patient and it is our commitment to enhancing the quality of life of patients by using advanced technology and pioneering new treatment methods.
The Continental team of gastroenterologists & heptologists make use of some of the most advanced, invasive and minimally invasive diagnostic procedures to evaluate the patient's condition. Our broad range of diagnostical services provides the endoscopist with a clear picture of every patient's condition. The advanced optics and first-rate visualization systems present in the diagnostic laboratory permit rapid, accurate, and painless examination of the entire digestive tract and adjacent organs.
Continental Functional and Motility Suite
- High Resolution Manometry
- Oesophageal manometry
- Ambulatory oesophageal pH monitoring
- Ambulatory oesophageal manometry and impedance testing
- Anorectal manometry
- Breath tests
- Double balloon enteroscopy
- Narrow Band Imaging
- Biliary endotherapy
- Pancreatic endotherapy
- Endoscopic cystogastrostomy
- Diagnostic pancreaticobiliary EUS
- Anorectal EUS
- Esophageal EUS
- Gastric EUS
- Mediastinum EUS
- EUS guided FNAC
- EUS guided cystogastrostomy
- EUS guided celiac plexus neurolysis
- Endoscopic variceal banding
- Endoscopic sclerotherapy
- Argon plasma coagulation
- Endoscopic dilatation
- SEMS placement
- EMR (Endoscopic Mucosal Resection)
Continental Hospitals is equipped with cutting-edge gastroenterology equipment to support diagnosis and treatment and thereby provide the best possible patient care. We provide the best treatment and care for digestive disorders and related conditions.
The doctors conduct a physical examination of the patient to ascertain any underlying illnesses and to rule out any abnormalities that may adversely affect the treatment planned by the doctors.
Some other diagnostic procedures that help to diagnose and treat gastrointestinal and liver conditions include the following:
- Laboratory Tests
- Fecal occult blood test –It is used to detect the presence of blood in stools, that is not visible to the naked eye. This blood is called “occult” blood and could indicate colon cancer, hemorrhoids, polyps or other gastrointestinal problems.
- Stool culture – it is a test that detects and identifies bacteria that cause infections of the lower digestive tract
- Image Tests
- Barium meal- it is a diagnostic test used to detect abnormalities of the esophagus, stomach and small bowel using X-ray imaging
- Colorectal transit study – This test assesses how quickly food moves through the colon. It is based on patients swallowing capsules having markers, that are visible on using abdominal X-rays.
- CT scan of Pancreas –A combination of X-rays and a computer is used to check the pancreas for certain type of tumors, injuries, bleeding, blockages, and other conditions
- Defecography –. Magnetic resonance (MR) defecography is a noninvasive test that uses magnetic resonance imaging to obtain images at various stages of defecation to evaluate how well the pelvic muscles are working and provide insight into rectal function.
- Barium enema – A test that is used to examine the large intestine, lower parts of the small intestine and rectum using X-ray. Fluoroscopy, a special kind of X-rays is used to see the organs in motion, is often used during a barium enema. It helps to diagnose problems in the colon and rectum.
- Abdominal Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – is a noninvasive procedure that uses powerful magnets and radio waves to produce pictures of the inside of the abdomen without exposure to ionizing radiation (x-rays). It helps diagnose abnormal growths or abdominal tumors.
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)–is a technique for viewing the bile ducts and the pancreatic duct. It can also show the pancreas, gallbladder, and liver. MRCP uses magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to produce detailed pictures of these ducts and organs. It helps to show gallstones, narrowing or blockage in the bile duct or pancreatic duct, tumors, and inflammation.
- Oropharyngeal motility study– it is a modified barium swallow test, used to evaluate difficulty in swallowing.
- Abdominal Ultrasound – With the use of sound waves, this non-invasive test helps to diagnose conditions such as acute pancreatitis or Hepatitis B, and monitor Crohn’s disease (chronic Irritable Bowel disease)
- Endoscopic Procedures
- Colonoscopy – A colonoscope with a camera is used to view the colon (the large intestine) and helps to diagnose colorectal cancer, colon polyps, ulcers, inflammation, narrowed areas of the colon, etc.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) – It is a procedure to diagnose and treat problems in the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, and pancreas. It uses the combination of X-rays and endoscope for diagnosis. It helps to diagnose pancreatitis or cancer of the liver, pancreas or bile ducts.
- Sigmoidoscopy–It is a diagnostic test to check the lower part of the colon or large intestine (the sigmoid colon), close to the rectum and anus. It helps to diagnose problems such as diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain, abnormal growths, etc. It helps to detect colorectal cancer.
- Upper GI endoscopy – is also called esophagogastroduodenoscopy. It is used to diagnose and treat the upper GI (gastrointestinal) tract, which is the esophagus and duodenum. With an endoscope and a camera, video images are taken to diagnose any problems or to take biopsy samples.
- Narrow Band Imaging-it is an optical imaging technology, where the light of specific blue and green wavelengths enhances the visibility of vessels and other tissue on the mucosal surface. It is used for the identification of Barrett’s esophagus (a condition in which there is an abnormal (metaplastic) change in the mucosal cells lining the lower portion of the esophagus), in the identification of pit patterns to classify colorectal polyps and tumors.
- Anorectal manometry – is used to test the health and strength of the gastrointestinal muscles. It is used to analyze the strength of the anal sphincter muscles.
- Esophageal manometry –It is used to test movement and pressure in the esophagus
- Esophageal pH monitoring study – it measures and records the pH in the esophagus to determine the presence or absence of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Capsule endoscopy – It is a diagnostic test to detect any illness in any part of the digestive tract. It involves swallowing a pill with a camera that takes images as it passes through the digestive system.
- Gastric manometry –It is a test that is used to measure electrical and muscular activity in the stomach. It helps in measuring the electrical and muscular activity of the stomach as it digests foods and liquids.
- Liver biopsy-it is a procedure used for making the diagnosis of abnormal liver conditions.
Renowned for their surgical dexterousness, the team of gastroenterologists and gastrointestinal surgeons at Continental Hospitals perform a broad spectrum of operative procedures based on the patient's conditional requirements. Having received years of practical training under the world's leading surgeons, our doctors carry out each procedure with accuracy and precision which reduces pain, scarring and post- operative complications. We have some of the best gastroenterologists in Hyderabad who perform basic laparoscopic procedures like Cholecystectomy, Appendectomy & Hernia Repair routinely apart from advanced surgeries like Fundoplication, Oesophagomyotomy, Bowel Resections & Splenectomy.
Some of the surgical techniques provided are:
It is also known as EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy). It is used to treat problems in the upper gastrointestinal (GI) tract. The upper GI tract consists of the esophagus, stomach, and the duodenum. An upper GI endoscopy procedure involves the use of an endoscope, a long flexible tube with a tiny light and camera attached on one end that inserted into the throat and miniaturized surgical instruments are used to control bleeding, remove tumors, remove objects stuck or open narrow areas. It is also used to do a biopsy.
Most Hiatal hernias do not show symptoms or cause problems. But, some patients with hiatal hernia may experience GERD, so the treatment starts with management of GERD by making lifestyle changes, medication. However, if the part of the stomach that is entering the esophagus is squeezed so tightly that the blood supply is cut off, then a hiatal hernia repair is carried out. A laparoscopic repair or Nissen fundoplication is recommended for the hiatal hernia repair.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter muscle (muscular ring connecting the esophagus to the stomach). The normal function of the lower esophageal sphincter muscle is to prevent food from the stomach to enter the esophagus. But, in GERD, food, acid or bile moves into the esophagus from the stomach and the lining of the esophagus gets inflamed. A laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery called Nissen fundoplication is performed in the treatment of GERD when medication does not work.
It is a surgical procedure to treat stomach cancer, in which a part or the entire stomach is removed. There are four types of gastrectomy depending the area of the stomach that is removed-Total gastrectomy (entire stomach removed), partial gastrectomy (lower part of the stomach is removed), sleeve gastrectomy (left side of the stomach is removed) and esophagogastrectomy (upper part of the stomach and part of esophagus is removed). Open surgery or laparoscopic gastrectomy is performed by surgeons.
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
The surgical removal of the gallbladder is called a cholecystectomy. It is usually removed due to painful gallstones. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy involves making small incisions in the stomach area and the use of small surgical instruments to remove the gall bladder. There are short hospital stays and greater recovery time in this minimally invasive procedure.
It is the surgical removal of the entire or a part of the liver. It is usually performed for the treatment of benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous) hepatic tumors. There are two types of hepatectomy-partial (part of the liver is removed) and complete (when the entire liver is removed and requires liver transplant).
It is a surgical procedure to remove a part or the entire pancreas. It can be used in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. There are two types of Pancreatectomy:
Distal Pancreatectomy-the body and tail of the pancreas is removed, which could be done by open surgery or laparoscopic surgery
Total Pancreatectomy is the removal of the whole pancreas, parts of the stomach and small intestine.
- Pancreato-biliary disorder treatment
Pancreatic and biliary conditions typically impact your liver, pancreas, gallbladder and/or the bile ducts. The Treatment options could be minimally invasive procedures such as ERCP, Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)-used to crush stones in the pancreas and bile ducts using sound waves generated by a machine (lithotriptor) placed outside the body. Other treatments options could be laparoscopic cholecystectomy or Pancreatectomy
It is the surgical procedure to remove spleen from the body. It is performed to treat primary cancers of the spleen and to treat a disease called hereditary spherocytosis. Removing part of the spleen is called a partial splenectomy. Removing the entire spleen is called a total splenectomy.
It is the surgical procedure to remove some or most of the esophagus. It is used to treat esophageal cancer. Sometimes a part of the stomach or lymph nodes are also removed to check for cancerous growth. It can be performed by open esophagectomy, where the surgeon operates through one or more large incisions (cuts) in the neck, chest, or abdomen. It can alternatively be performed by minimally invasive esophagectomy, where the esophagus can be removed through several small incisions
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography (ERCP)
It is a procedure used for the treatment of pancreatic diseases. It plays a role in gallstone pancreatitis and complicated acute and chronic pancreatitis.
- Double balloon enteroscopy
It is an incision-less procedure performed to reach and treat less-accessible colon polyps or areas of bleeding in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. During the procedure, gastroenterologists use endoscopes to see the area of the body being treated. Balloon-assisted enteroscopy uses endoscopes equipped with balloons that inflate and deflate to pinch together the walls of the GI tract. By compressing the walls, the gastroenterologist can reach and treat less accessible areas.
Specialists at the Continental Institute of Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, are:
Our specialists at Continental Hospitals adopt surgical and non-surgical methods for treatment of patients suffering from gastrointestinal disorders. Some of the conditions that affect the organs of the GI tract, which are treated by the specialists at the Continental Institute of Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, are:
- Gallstones – They are hard, pebble-like pieces of material, usually made of cholesterol or bilirubin, that form in the gall bladder
- Cholecystitis –is inflammation of the gallbladder, which usually occurs when drainage from the gallbladder becomes blocked, mostly due to gallstones.
•Stomach and Esophagus
- Indigestion/ Acid Reflux
- Esophagitis -inflammation or irritation of the esophagus
- Gastritis-inflammation of the protective lining of the stomach
- GERD -food or acid moves back from the stomach to the esophagus
- Ulcers-painful sores in the stomach lining
- Hiatus Hernia-when part of the stomach moves into the chest
- Gastric Cancer-malignant (cancer) cells form in the lining of the stomach
- Duodenitis –Inflammation or irritation of the duodenum
- Ulcers-a sore on the lining of the duodenum
- Cysts in Liver- thin-walled fluid-filled structures in the liver, which are usually benign
- Liver Cancer-disease in which there is an abnormal malignant growth of cells in the liver
- Liver Cirrhosis-a disease which involves loss of liver cells and irreversible liver scarring
- Fatty Liver-fat buildup in the liver, also known as hepatic steatosis.
- Pancreatitis-acute and chronic inflammation of the pancreas
- Pancreatic Cancer-is a disease in which malignant(cancerous) cells form in the tissue of the pancreas
Some of the surgical procedures carried out at Continental Institute of Gastroenterology are:
- Cyberknife Radiosurgery
Complex Hernia Repair
- Heller Myotomy
- Nissen Fundoplication
- Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair
- Open Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Open Ventral Hernia Repair
- Preoperative Progressive Pneumoperitoneum
- Portal Vein Embolization (PVE)
- Yttrium-90 Radioembolization
- Liver Biopsy
- Liver Resection
- Autologous Islet Cell Transplantation
- Whipple Procedure
Continental Hospitals not only treat patients that are suffering from diseases or disorders affecting the esophagus, stomach, liver, pancreas, biliary tract, small and large intestine, but also provides care that improves the quality of life of our patients.
We have a rehabilitation program that provides post-operative care to patients recovering from surgeries with excellent nursing staff and constant monitoring from specialists making Continental Hospitals, the best hospital for gastroenterology in Hyderabad.
Best Doctors for Gastroenterology in Hyderabad
With emphasis on timely access and premier quality of treatment, the Continental Hospital consists of some of the best doctors for gastroenterology in Hyderabad, India. From treating a broad range of disorders to creating a unique plan of treatment for each patient, our doctors go an extra mile to provide comfort and relief for their patients. Having gone under rigorous training under internationally renowned medical leaders, gastroenterology specialists at Continental Hospitals have the intuitive skill and perfection that is required for every challenging case that comes their way. Complex procedures carried out through minimally invasive techniques like ERCP, EMR, EUS enable our doctors to identify, locate and remove biliary duct stones and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract with ease. The ability to integrate training, expertise and vast knowledge into creating a personalized plan of care has made our team of Gastroenterologists one of the primary choices of caregivers among patients worldwide.
Our doctors at Continental Hospitals are world-renowned surgeons who have received specialized training in the field of gastroenterology and hepatology. They have won many accolades in the US and India and have affiliations with different institutes in the US and India. They have been part of many clinical research programs in the US. They have unparalleled experience in carrying out endoscopic procedures in hospitals and have treated several patients with quality care. Hence, it won’t be an exaggeration to say that Continental Hospitals has some of the best doctors for gastroenterology in Hyderabad, making it one of the best hospitals for Gastroenterology in Hyderabad.
Dr. Guru N Reddy
MD, FACP, FACG, FASGE, AGAF
Chairman & Managing Director
Cheaf Of Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases
Dr Santosh Kumar Enaganti
MBBS, MD(Int Med), MRCP, CCT Gastro(UK), FRCP
Senior Consultant Medical Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist
Dr A. Dinakar Reddy
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Mch (Surgical Gastroenterology), FIAGES, EFIAGES, FACRSI, FALS
Consultant Surgical gastroenterologist, Continental Hospitals
Dr Raghuram Kondala
MD (PGI), DM(G.B. PANT)
Consultant Medical Gastroenterologist
Dr. T. Pavan Reddy
MD General Medicine (KMC Manipal) DM Gastroenterology (AMC king Gearge Hospital Visakapatnam) PDF Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy
Consultant medical Gastroenterologist
Dr Ushast Dhir
MBBS, MS(General Surgery),DNB
Dr Ganesh Gorthi
FACS ( US), FBS (UK), FALS (Robotic Surgery), (FRCS, UK), MRCS(UK), MS (Gen Surgery)
HOD of GI Robotic Surgery, Robotic Bariatric and GI Surgeon