The department of radiation oncology at Continental Hospitals offers excellence in treatment & care for all types of cancers. With state-of-the-art infrastructure, excellent panel of radiation specialists, and world class radiation facilities, Continental Hospitals is one of the best hospitals in Hyderabad for cancer treatment.
Oncology is the branch of medicine that specializes in the diagnosis & treatment of cancers. And radiation oncology is one of the three oncology branches, it employs radiation for the treatment of cancers. Surgical oncology and medical oncology are the other two specialties which use surgery and clinical interventions, respectively, for cancer treatment.
Excellence in patient care & excellent patient outcomes, are the twin objectives of the department of radiation oncology. Continental Hospitals has an unparalleled pedigree in the treatment of cancers with some of the best radiation oncology specialists providing advanced and accurate cancer treatment.
Diseases & Conditions
Department of radiation oncology at Continental Hospitals provides advanced radiation treatment & care for various cancers and related disorders as listed below:
- Blood Cancers
- Brain Tumors
- Prostate Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Abdominal Cancer
- Pelvic Cancer
- Oral Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Peritoneal Malignancies
The department of radiation oncology at Continental Hospitals is equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic facilities for the early detection and diagnosis of all types of cancers. Diagnosis for cancers is performed with the help of various tests as given below:
- Nuclear medicine – This is an imaging technique that uses a small number of radiotracers injected into the bloodstream or swallowed or inhaled, and are then traced to detect the presence of cancerous cells in the body.
- Radiology – Imaging tests that are often employed for detecting cancers involve computed tomography (CT) scans, X-rays, ultrasound, mammogram, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans amongst others.
- Pathology – Pathology tests include analysis of blood, urine and other body fluids samples to check for tumor markers and detect the presence of cancerous cells in the body.
- Biopsy – A biopsy is a procedure wherein a small piece of tissue or a sample of cells is incised from the body for analysis. analyzed in a laboratory and helps ascertain if a tumor is either cancerous or benign.
- Endoscopy – An endoscopy allows a doctor to view the internal organs of the patient using a thin tube inserted into the oral cavity. This can be used for the screening of the GI tract and the abdominal cavity for tumors.
- Colposcopy – A colposcopy is a cervical cancer test, wherein a scope is used to examine the cervix and helps detect the presence of cancerous cells in the cervix.
The department of radiation oncology at Continental Hospitals offers excellence in treatment & care for all types of cancers and cancer-related ailments. Our expert panel of radiation specialists with decades of experience, state of the art infrastructure, and an unmatched pedigree in treatment of cancers, makes us one of the best hospitals for cancer treatment in Hyderabad.
Our highly skilled radiation oncologists and dedicated staff remain steadfast in the treatment of all types of cancer using evidence-based medicine and globally established guidelines whilst taking into consideration the latest advances and internationally approved protocols to prescribe the best treatment possible.
With advanced technology now available at our disposal, we have the ability to precisely localize and target tumors while protecting adjacent critical normal organs or structures. In our effort to be at the forefront of this technological revolution, Continental Hospital has acquired the latest and the best equipment in cancer management like TruBeam STx and Gamma Cameras making us one of the most technologically advanced cancer hospitals in Hyderabad.
Some of the procedures undertaken at Continental Hospitals:
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Leukemia Unit & Inpatient Chemotherapy
- Three-dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy (3D-CRT)
- Total and Sub-total Skin Electron Beam Therapy (TSEB)
- VMAT (Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy)
Technology & Facilities
The department of radiation oncology at Continental Hospitals, Hyderabad is known as one of the best hospitals for cancer treatment. We remain steadfast in our commitment to provide excellent patient-experiences and improved patient-outcomes for every single one of our patients.
Continental Hospitals has consistently set a benchmark for the highest standards of radiation care for cancer patients. Equipped with state-of-the-art operation theatres and advanced infrastructure to deliver excellence for every patient. We have expert panel of radiation oncologists striving for excellent outcomes.
The facilities at Continental Hospitals for the treatment of cancers include:
- State-of-the-art Tru Beam STx Radiotherapy equipment
- Advanced radiology facilities for imaging
- Gamma camera
- World-class patient-facilities
Dr Mallik Singaraju
MBBS, MD, FAGE, PDCR
Consultant - Radiation Oncology
Dr Apoorva Kulkarni
MBBS (Gold Medallist), DNB
Consultant - Radiation Oncology
What does the radiation oncologist do?
A radiation oncologist is an expert in the administration of treatment & care for various cancers using radiation therapy. They are specialists in employing targeted and regulated doses of high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells in the body. Radiation oncology is a field that brings together cutting-edge technology with clinical expertise for best-outcomes in oncology care.
What is the difference between an oncologist and a radiation oncologist?
An oncologist is a generalist in the treatment of cancers, and generally refers to someone employing clinical methods for cancer treatment, these include medication, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy. Meanwhile, radiation oncologists are specialists who use targeted, high-energy radiation for the treatment of cancer.
Does a radiation oncologist do chemotherapy?
No, a radiation oncologist does not administer chemotherapy. A radiation oncologist may work in consultation with a medical oncologist to plan a multi-disciplinary treatment plan for the cancer treatment of a patient, which includes chemotherapy.
What cancers are treated with radiation?
Radiation therapy is widely used for the treatment of various cancer forms. This includes head & neck cancers, breast cancer, cervical cancer, prostate cancer, amongst others that are treated by brachytherapy. Whereas, cancers of lungs, liver, colon, skin, etc., can be cured by external beam therapy.
Is Radiation Oncology painful?
No, radiation therapy is largely pain-free as there is no perceptible pain, discomfort, or stinging sensation when radiation enters the body.
What are the different types of radiation therapy?
Primarily there are two main types of radiation therapy – external beam radiation therapy, and internal radiation therapy, also known as brachytherapy